Boating Safety Advice
Recreational boating remains a favorable pastime although it does have its risks. According to the American Boating Association, 701 individuals lost their lives this past year due to boating accidents. Nearly 31 percent of these cases were because the driver of the boat was BWI (Boating While Intoxicated). Since more than 10 percent of deaths that occurred while recreational boating had operators who had received previous boating safety instruction, it’s more important then ever to learn how to operate a boat safely and what to do in a boating emergency. Below you will find resources on boating safety, sports, weather variables, and what to do in an emergency.
Boating and Safety Basics
- Boat Safe without the Influence of Drugs and Alcohol: Find information on boating stress factors and how problems can arise while under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol.
- Importance of Wearing a Life Jacket: Practice safe boating during the warm weather by wearing a life jacket.
- Boating Before You Leave and On the Water: Here you will find details on what to bring and do before and after you are in the water.
- Boat Safe Kids: Children can learn important factors in boat safety, such as why life jackets float and why they are generally orange.
- Boating Terminology: See a list of boating basics glossary, as well as an interactive graphic that describes the various parts on a boat.
- Boater Education Requirements & Laws: Statistics on boating accidents reported by the U.S. Coast Guard, as well as boating laws for each state.
- Operating a Motor Boat: Find instructions on how to safely operate a boat, as well as trouble-shooting and maintenance control.
- Operating Your Boat – Safely Anchoring: Learn how to choose an anchor that fits your boat’s condition, as well as how to prepare and anchor your boat.
- Boating Knots: A great guide for learning common boating knots with instructional videos.
- Water Ski Safety: Learn about the jobs of the skier, operator, and observer while water skiing, as well as common signals used and speed limits.
- Wakeboard Boat Operation: Instructions on how to handle a wakeboard and the importance of being considerate to the public sharing the water.
- Boating World Tubing Tips: This article has information on tubing, including when to know your limitations and being sure the driver is responsible and alert.
- Power Boating Safety: Find tips on how to stay safe while boating and maintaining safe boating equipment.
- Kids Water Safety: Tips on how to keep kids safe while at the lake, pond, or beach, and while swimming.
- About Drag Boat Racing: Find information on the basics of drag boating racing and how to stay safe.
- Scuba Diving Safety & Regulations: Introduction on scuba diving, as well as information on diving conditions, kelp forests, and artificial reefs.
- Snorkeling Safety Basics: Learn about safe snorkeling, including qualified supervision and physical fitness aspects.
- Fishing and Boating Safety Tips: Find regulations and tips on fishing and boating, as well as information on licensing.
- Outdoor Water Sports Safety Guide: Weather and safety information for jet skis, sail boarding, scuba diving, snorkeling, surfing, tubing, rafting, and water skiing.
Weather and Tides
- Safe Boating Weather Tips: Learn the importance of checking weather conditions before planning a boating trip.
- Boating Safety Requirements and Tips: The Be Weather Wise section of this website provides several videos on the risks of boating in bad weather.
- Boating Safety for Kids: Find information on weather and all important factors of safe boating.
- Boating Lightning Protection: Learn about the lightning phenomena and how it can affect a boating trip.
- Storm Warnings: Boaters can learn if a storm is coming by recognizing the warning flags presented by the United States Coast Guard.
- Beach and Boating Safety Tips: Find several articles on keeping safe while boating, including hot weather and lightning information.
- American Boating Association: Plan your boating trip ahead to plan for bad weather and proper equipment.
- Surviving a Storm at Sea: Step-by-step directions on how to deal with an approaching storm, sailing in stormy seas, lightning, radio channels, fog conditions, and anchoring in a severe storm.
In Case of an Emergency
- Boat Emergency Repairs: Learn how to repair a hole or the loss of hull integrity while on a boat.
- Boat Basin Emergency Procedures: Instructions on what to do if a fire breaks out on your boat of if the boat begins to sink.
- Preparing Your Boat for a Storm: Emergency handbook on what to do if your boat has entered a severe storm.
- Boating Safety and Equipment required at Sea: Learn what to do with equipment and the steps required in an emergency situation at sea.
- The Boat is Leaking: Step by step guide on what to do if your boat is sinking, depending on if it’s a small or major leak.
- Boating Emergencies: Scenarios and what to do in all types of emergency boating situations.
- Drowning Prevention Tips: Statistics and information on how to prevent drowning and who is at risk.
- Marine Radio Could Be a Lifesaver: Learn about the importance of marine radio to keep contact with the coast guard in a boating emergency.
- VHF Emergency Procedures: Find information about proper marine communications, such as MAYDAY, PAN-PAN, and SECURITE.